Overheard at a coffee shop the other day:
“I’m sick and tired of the HYPE around Cloud Computing”
You would think that given the business we are in, I should have been concerned by that statement and yet … I was actually ecstatic!
Here is why…
Have you ever heard of the Gartner Hype Cycle?
Our smart friends over at Gartner use the simple graphic you see above in order to plot the maturity and adoption of various technologies. It is broken down into 5 specific phases as follows:
- Technology Trigger – New tech gets folks like you and I all excited.
- Peak of Inflated Expectations – Expectations become completely unrealistic. (Click of a button, will solve all your problems)
- Trough of Disillusionment – Poor expectation management results in unrealistic goals and ultimately a failure
- Slope of Enlightenment – Brushing away shiny marketing fluff, realistic expectations result in realistic goals & more success
- Plateau of Productivity – Benefits of the tech are widely accepted and leveraged in practical ways with incremental improvements.
The statement made in the coffee shop tells me that Gartner’s current view is that we are on our way to (and through) the “Trough of Disillusionment” with regards to Cloud Computing. The only vendors who have anything to worry about are those who sell the “fluff” commonly known in our trade as “Blue Sky”. Anyone focusing on adding real value will soon see themselves rising up the Slope of Enlightenment to continue delivering great value to customer and partners alike.
We believe that Go2Cloud is one of the businesses you can rely on to continue to deliver expectation meeting (and beating) value!
Want more information on the Gartner Hype Cycle and how it relates to Cloud Computing, check out the following: